life's little surprises

Monday, September 12, 2005

Commonly used English phrases in Shanghai

Here are some of the famous English phrases I hear everyday:

1. Welcome to take my taxi -- the recorded welcome greeting whenever you ride a taxi.
2. Please wait a moment -- Whenever you have a question and they cannot give the answer immediately, they will tell you to 'please wait a moment'.
3. Not at all -- Whenever you say thank you in English, they will answer 'not at all', meaning it's no problem for them or you are welcome.
4. Just so-so -- If it's not spectacular, not special, not the best, they will answer that it's just so-so.

Judging from the above phrases, one can tell that:
1. I always ride a taxi.
2. I always ask questions.
3. I always say, 'thank you'.
4. I always ask them, 'how are things?'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home