life's little surprises

Friday, February 17, 2006

First Day in Bombay*

Some unforgettable lines I have heard today:

Mumbaikar 1: I was looking at you while you were crossing the street and you looked so scared...
Mumbaikar 2: I don't get what you mean.
Non-Mumbaikar 1: Pilipino kayo?
Mumbaikar 3: Acha**
Mumbaikar 4: Haah***...Haah...

It was quite an experience for me, an enriching one I may say. It's a different world here and I need to master the art of tenacity.

_______________
*Bombay - from the Portuguese word Bom Baia which means Good Bay; an old name for the city of Mumbai, a city in western India just off the coast of the Arabian Sea; India's 2nd largest city (after Calcutta).
**Acha - Hindi word for OK.
***Haah - Hindi word for Yes. (So pag sinabi ko na hahaha...yesyesyes pala yun dito...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home