life's little surprises

Friday, May 26, 2006

Last Goodbye

I hate goodbyes. For one thing, I don't even know why there's something "good" in saying farewell to someone or something. I remembered that one colleague of mine was searching for the etymology of the word but could not find any. I decided to come up with my own explanation:

GOODBYE is a compound word having the words GOOD and BYE. Indirectly, these two words are opposites. Good is something that is remarkably wonderful while bye is an expression of farewell.

How can saying farewell be wonderful? Goodbyes have always been sad and poignant. They have been attributed with melancholic instrumental songs and unending stream of tears. Even more heart-wrenching are unexpected, forced, or unlikely goodbyes. These are the ones that either allow the person to say what they really mean to say or to avoid saying anything. I hate goodbyes because it's simply saying that it's the end. That's it. Deal with it.

But I will choose not to be content with that. I believe that there's really something good in goodbye. The French phrase for goodbye is au revoir - literally it means: until we meet again. That's the explanation that I am choosing. Farewell does not have to always mean that it's the end because there can always be a sequel, or a new chapter, or a new episode. When I said goodbye to you, what I really mean to say is that I know we will meet again.

Note: I looked for the word's origin and found this: Goodbye comes from "God be with ye". Interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home